Iron Man 2
  • DanBirlewDanBirlew
    Administrator
  • vincentvincent
  • RombieRombie
    I saw the film at midnight on the 29th here. I actually didn't realise it came out here over a week before the US. No idea why they've done that, but the US is one of the last major markets to get it.

Was quite impressed as it seemed to be fairly consistant with the original film, perhaps one of the most consistant sequels ever made in fact. Much like the original it has it's flaws but it's easy to look over. Definently worth seeing as soon as it releases over there.
  • JayneJayne
    We're seeing it. 

The reviews have been a little mixed, saying the story is so-so, but the cast is great and they make it worthwhile.  Like I needed someone to tell me that.  You could put Robert Downey Jr. in "Blair Witch 2" and it would become a good movie.

My only worry was S.J. as the Black Widow.  I figured Mickey Rourke could pull off a Russian accent, but I was worried that she'd sound too much like Natasha, of Boris and Natasha or worse, Linka from Captian Planet, and the cornball factor would redline, taking me out of the film.

From what I understand, though, is that once you start with Iron Man, you need to watch all of the upcoming Marvel movies (Thor, Avengers, etc) because they're all inter-connected.  Should be interesting to see how it all comes together.
  • I think Scar-Jo just scrapped Widow's accent entirely. Rombie, can you confirm? (But no spoiling till the weekend PLEEEEEZE, I'm trying to stay virginal for once... that said, I read a SOUNDTRACK review that spoiled a plot point, so... I don't know how well I'm going to pull that off)

I'm psyched, though.
  • RombieRombie
    Yeah, no accent. There is generally a good reason for why though. Wont say anything more about that… and the rest of this post is spoiler free.

I don't get complaints about the story issues myself. The first film even by comparison as far as decent stories go had a generally weak overall arc once Tony became Iron Man, and it was the whole film by itself that makes up for it by being generally decent enough across the board. The second is no different to me. There were potentially bigger issues with the film than the story itself, but I'll leave that for later discussion till after the film comes out. Overall though as I said, I think it's consistant with the first myself, and while it makes mistakes - many different from the first - it's generally still decent across the board.

Oh, and I'm sure I don't have to say this but just in case; make sure you stay till after the credits finish.

Edit – I forgot to say – Stan Lee's little cameo role in this may one of the funniest he's done so far. 'Quick and he's gone' but great.

Indeed they are leading up to the connection of all these films in The Avengers flick, which is supposed to come out 2012. However with what is still to take place to get that to work, I'll be surprised if it's out by then.

I don't know if it's true or not, I just read it yesterday after going to the film on the 29th. And I didn't take it in properly at the time but supposedly in the background of one of the scenes in IM2 is a news report showing the aftermath of the on campus fight from The Incredible Hulk between the Hulk and the Milltary from the film, so now they're referencing back and forth between the movies, of course with Stark turning up in Hulk as well. 

On point for this though additionally though for an Avengers film to work, Marvel and Ed Norton are going to have to sort out their differences over the Hulk write/edit or else Marvel will be recasting Hulk for the third time. There are definently however other references to things within the joint universe throughout the film.

Also I just don't understand how they're going to fit all these in release wise – Thor and Captain America are due out 2 months apart next year at this stage – early May, mid July respectively if I read correctly. Edgar Wright is supposed to do an Ant-Man film. There is one other due, and also a third Iron Man is also on the cards.
  • vincentvincent
  • OK, bottom line, great flick. Really enjoyed it. Um... Yeah. I guess we still keep quiet till anybody that's gonna see it HAS seen it?
  • JayneJayne
  • RombieRombie
  • JayneJayne

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion