Video News: Why I Hate It
  • JayneJayne
  • JayneJayne
    You're spot on with the "activity" observation.   I'm on my computer at work for 10 hours a day.  When I'm not writing about how to prevent disturbing an endangered bat colony, I'm creating a map illustrating the location of the colony, or coding a database for comments from the public on how well we're doing in avoiding the bats. (I've come to know alot about bats).

But there's only so much I can write at a time, particularly technical stuff.  And then don't get me started on download time for things like hi-res aerial photos or federal guidance docs.  I spend as much time watching the progress bar as I do actually producing stuff.  In the moments of downtime, I like to clear my head with something interesting.  It's amazing (and you probably know this) how much better I write or how quickly I catch a typo after I've not been typing for a few minutes. (Writing here is tremendously fun, too, because I get to use words the way I want, not the way I am required to for the stuff I have to write.)

Anyway, I don't have the time or patience to load a video and watch it.  I can't write while I'm listening to other dialogue, either.  Never could. Not in college and not today.  I can listen if I'm working on graphics, but I don't like the isolation that comes with earbuds in the workplace (I miss too many shenanigans if I can't hear). And downloading a video competes with my processor for the stuff I need to download.

Fortunately, I found a text story on a competitor's page that identified that faulty washing machines as Maytags.  They start fires, apparently, which is ironic since they're a water device.  But see what happened?  I bailed on MSN and went over to Yahoo.  Now MSN's advertisers are missing one more set of eyes.   Of course, I'm failing to acknowledge that perhaps the MSN ads were for products that appeal to selfish people or people who don't need to work, like, say, YSL dog collars for those heinous mixed-purebreed bait-sized dogs, like chiwowzers or dachenese, or whatever the hell they're making these days.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion