Best. Ending. Ever.
  • In the wake of Lost's generally-acknowledged-as-underwhelming (if not universally hated) finale, I got to thinking about what series ended with a perfect episode, or at bare minimum one which stuck the landing such that I felt like they did what they came to do. That said, I'm wondering what you all feel was the best ending ever?

For me, it's a tie.

If we can use a little revisionist history and understand that the final episode of Babylon 5's fifth season was actually shot to be the final episode of the fourth - and as such, the entire series, I think that one's a little hard to beat... I-can't-think-about-it-too-hard-or-I-break-down-in-tears kind of hard-to-beat (by the way, what's with all my hyphens?). It managed a HUGE time jump, and yet managed to be a perfect capstone.

But going by shows that ran their course and ended via the regular means (without creative thinking as with B5 or my own "Kripke's Supernatural" kind of caveat), I think the best final episode I've ever seen was actually Angel, "Not Fade Away". I was driving into work this morning, and a song from that episode's soundtrack came onto my iPod, and I sort of mentally recapped the episode for myself. It seriously hit all the right notes, ramped up the drama and action, and then as soon as the balloon popped... the end. Seriously, when looked at with the added knowledge that they didn't EXPECT to end there (as opposed to B5's sort-of "planned" ending), it's just that much more powerful.

So, thoughts?
  • The ending to B5 was fantastic, it's just a shame that they kinda screwed up the arc in a few places over the whole saga.  And let's not mention the differences with S5 compared to the previous ones, but yes, B5's final episode was seriously good.  The whole tone of the episode fitted neatly with S4 and Sheridan's arc.

One ending that I always liked was Twin Peaks.  The whole series didn't make too much sense and ended up going off track for a good few periods (I found the James-centric episodes especially where he's on his travels to be boring), but the ending did sort of tie up a few things and left it wide open at the same time.

It's a shame American Gothic and Brimstone didn't continue, I think they'd have ended on good notes (maybe not good as in ending happy, but good as in very apt).
  • Never did see the Twin Peaks finale. I watched the first bunch, drifted, came back to see who killed Laura, and that was it for me.
  • JayneJayne
  • JayneJayne
  • JayneJayne
  • RombieRombie
  • Also on the subjet of The X-Files, there was always the lure/hook of them finishing the story off at the end of most seasons, but they never did most of the time, that's what put me off it and I have still to see the last two or so seasons!

One question I would like to ask about ending, did the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles get a propper ending?  At just under 200 episodes it should have, but I never remember seeing one!
  • Yep I know of the live action version but never got to see it, the others and I'm about to start watching the current 2006-ish series.

I do wanna watch all the movies, no matter HOW bad they are!

Oh!  So the TMNT film and series tie in do they?
  • RombieRombie
  • JayneJayne
    I remember ReBoot!  A coworker dropped a reference to it the other day, which upped her coolness factor by 10 extra points.  I loved that show, and I agree with you completely! I felt so cheated. It was the heir to He-Man in that it was a kid's show that believed that kids can appreciate more than silly stories with goofy characters.  There was real drama in ReBoot.  One of the show runners, Dan DiDio, is now the executive editor of DC Comics, so I doubt he has the time to go back to it.  I cringe to think of what the next gen of kids TV directors would do to it... perhaps its best that we remember it fondly than have some Monkey's Paw zombie resurrected.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion