It's not like gaming cures AIDS or anything.. oh.. wait a minute...
  • JayneJayne
    Videogames increase aggression toward ... Retroviruses! Oh yeah! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, haters.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/online-gamers-crack-aids-enzyme-puzzle-161920724.html

My favorite quote:
    "The ingenuity of game players is a formidable force that, if properly directed, can be used to solve a wide range of scientific problems."

It seems that the spatial skills and problem solving essential to successful gaming is also a critical skill that has serious applications in scientific research. Computers can't yet reason in three dimensions. They need human brains to interpret what they can only present in two dimensions. The researchers used a specially-made program to help unravel this one particular protein, but the mental process involved in the modeling is the same as the one used to figure out the physics of regular games. We're given a 2-D image and operate in it as though it were 3-D, which affects how we aim weapons and consider vantage points. Woah... deep stuff. I mean, I knew gaming had a higher value to society than the blowing off of steam after a long week of dealing with real-world stuff... it's nice to have it published.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter